Saturday, April 23, 2011

EDUC 6714 Reflection

Currently my American literature students are finishing Tennessee Williams’ (1986) play A Streetcar Named Desire. Blanche, one of the main characters, is reminded repeatedly of her deceased husband whenever the band begins playing a polka. As the play goes on, the polka becomes louder and louder until she cannot avoid it as the polka plays throughout the final scene. This polka, in my case, has been the constant reminder that seems to permeate this course’s readings and videos that our students are all different and are unique learners (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004; Davidson, 2007; Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a). In understanding this, I will be using technology to differentiate and allow students access to the content by way of their strengths (Howard, 2002).

Rather than integrate technology solely into my curriculum to differentiate for student learning, I am working with my English department to make substantial changes with the aid of student netbooks in how we have our students access our content. Not only will I be sharing the UDL presentation (Feick, 2011) with my peers but I plan to demonstrate how technology, through the use of its potential uses, can eliminate learning barriers for our students (Rose & Meyer, 2002).

Starting in the beginning of the next school year, I will have all of my English classes using a digital classroom such as www.mybigcampus.com, www.schoology.com, or even a ning with storage space. This online classroom will help to provide access to the content for students of different learning profiles. Information such as lecture notes, a PowerPoint presentation, or even video or audio directions, hosted either on a podcast site such as www.podbean.com or an inserted clip from http://intervu.me, can allow students who learn best visually or through audio to re-access the curriculum through their preferred learning style after class has finished. Another benefit to the online classroom is that students can engage in a discussion outside of school walls. Often students who excel in discussions are strong in interpersonal skills; however, some students need more time to think through the questions and prefer to provide strong support before answering. By posting on a discussion thread and responding to peers, students of different learning preferences can excel in discussion.

In addition to the online classroom, I will be using a personal learning network through www.twitter.com. While using www.facebook.com as a social learning network like I did for the differentiation station assignments worked well, I want to connect with even a broader group of experts in the fields of education, technology, and English. Since I started using www.twitter.com, I am amazed at the amount of technology resources and information that is filtered through my account. Even though I cannot use or even read about every piece of information or resource, I am able to locate potential resources that can provide access to the curriculum in a variety of ways.

Finally, I want to be more flexible with my use of technology. I realize that students have strengths, interests, intelligences, and learning styles that are all unique. To address this, I want to provide assessment options that demonstrate what students know without holding them back due to the mode of communication. If I develop a rubric and establish the criteria being assessed, students can mold a product that demonstrates their learning through a method that fits them. For example, when students finish Williams’ (1986) play, they will be expected to know the motifs, where they appear, and analyze how they function within the play’s context. For some students, an essay could work, but others may be more excited and engaged to show their learning through a presentation on www.prezi.com, an online poster from www.glogster.com, a mock radio interview aired on a podcast, or even through digital storytelling.

The options to differentiate through the use of technology are limitless (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009b) and through these technologies I hope to provide access to the curriculum’s content for all of my students. My new mindset of providing accessibility for students will carry on, even after this course's continuous reminders stop, that my students are all different.






References
Bray, M., Brown, A., & Green, T. (2004). Technology and the Diverse Learner: A Guide to Classroom Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Feick, B. (2011) UDL: Universal design for learning [Online Presentation] Retrieved from http://prezi.com/sftzr540xgac/udl-universal-design-for-learning/
Howard, K.L. (2004). Universal design for learning: Meeting the needs of all students. International Society for Technology in Education, 31(5), 26-29. Retrieved from the ERIC database.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009a). Learner differences. [DVD] Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009b). What is differentiated instruction? [DVD] Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Rose, D. & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every students in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/
Williams, T. (1986). A streetcar named desire. New York: Signet.

No comments: